Fruit and veggie exports top over $2 billion in half year

By Minh Thu - Jul 03, 2019 | 10:10 AM GMT+7

TheLEADERFruit and vegetable exports have swelled up by 5 per cent on-year, reaching some $2.8 billion in the first six months, showing sign for increasing international demands for local produce.

Fruit and veggie exports top over $2 billion in half year
Fruit and vege exports have gone up by 5 per cent on-year in the first half of the year

Data by the General Statistics Office (GSO) shows that Vietnam’s total import-export turnover in the first half of 2019 has reached $245.48 million. Export value for the period has added up to $122.72 billion, up 7.3 per cent on-year.

On the back of the declines in exports of traditional agricultural products, non-traditional products of fruits and veges have been in the spotlight when the segment exports bolstered by 5 per cent on-year, gaining $2.08 billion at the end of June. 

Rice export has decreased by 17 per cent on-year, while coffee and cashew nuts orders have diminished by 21 per cent and 12 per cent on-year, respectively.

GSO noted that trade deficit stood at $34 million, equivalent to 0.03 per cent of the total export value at the end of June.

Exports from the domestic enterprises has boosted by 10.8 per cent to $36.82 million, accounting for 30 per cent of the export turnover. FDI companies, on the other hand, have accounted for 70 per cent of the export turnover, shipping some $85.9 billion worth of goods, an up of 5.9 per cent on-year.

In June alone, total export turnover nevertheless has slightly gone down by 1.4 per cent compared to May, expected to achieve an overall of $21.6 billion.

In terms of export markets, Vietnam’s exports to the US have increased by 27.4 per cent on-year. Exports to China, Korea and ASEAN as a whole, have also edged up by 1 per cent, 6 per cent and 6.7 per cent, respectively, while shipments to EU down by 0.4 per cent.